I have had a miserable week, so I came to write this post and almost wrote “Happiness is an illusion,” which would not be good. And then I remembered why we started doing these posts, way back on ReFab, it was to celebrate the small things that got lost in the trauma of big things, to force us to remember, no matter how fleeting, those moments where everything fell into place, even if it all fell out again in the next moment. So I started to mine the past week for moments. And I got . . .
• Mona falling asleep on my foot because she wanted to be close.
• Krissie and I discussing ice cube trays.
• Bob making me laugh in e-mail
• Talking to Mollie on the phone about a bank code, only for a minute, but I got to hear her voice.
• Realizing we were half done with the first draft of the new book.
• My agent telling me I was a brilliant writer in a phone call.
I mean, there’s more than that, and those were fleeting moments, but in those moments I was happy. I’m happy remembering them now. And I’ll be happy again, things will work out, everything will be fine, but still, I have to remember to dwell in those moments, savor them, not let them go by and miss how warm they make me feel. I am a very lucky woman because I have moments like these. And that makes me happy, too.
What made you happy this week?