In an attempt to give something back here after last week’s wallow, I finally finished a five-part rewrite series I drafted awhile ago. The idea was to put up a first draft, analyze it, do a first rewrite, hand it over to beta readers (even though usually I’d do five or six more drafts before I showed it to anybody) and get their feedback, analyze the scene again, and do a third rewrite. That would give me, in theory, a starting place for the novella although I can’t do a final rewrite on a first scene until I’ve done the final rewrite on the last scene. It seemed like a good idea. Then life sideswiped me again and I put it to one side. And now I’m back.
The big thing to remember about first drafts is that of course they’re terrible. Continue reading