I just got my four-week report from Grammarly. It said I wrote 344,940 words this month. A novel (according to my contracts) is 100,000 words. I wrote three and a half novels this month, evidently mostly in rewrites of the first part of Nita’s Act One (the only doc I’d uploaded), e-mails, texts, blog posts, and comments. What’s really weird is that I deleted the Grammarly app, so it’s become an invasive app, like butterfly bush, sneaking in everywhere.
The thing is, I like Grammarly on the net; it catches my mistakes when I e-mail or write posts and it makes it easy to correct them, although about 90% of the time I hit “ignore.” It also lets me put the words I use that I don’t like into my own dictionary. Here’s my dictionary so far:
But back to that 344,940 words. At least 300,000 of those are blog posts, blog post drafts, comments, and e-mails. That’s a sobering thought. Every word I’m typing right now could be part of Nita’s book and clearly, they’re not. Although, trust me, I have hundreds of thousands of words of Nita’s book. And some of those words are from the big four posts of the week which takes me about an hour each week to set up, so that’s not bad. And a lot of them are from commenting here. And I don’t talk to people much, aside from my neighbors who are lovely; most of my communication is typed, so maybe that’s not so outrageous after all.
But still, sobering.
So back to Nita. This week, I’m going to get all the files organized so I have ONE version of each act (the rest can go in draft files), and write all the sex scenes so I make sure they arc. I think there are three, one bad, one disconcerting, and one where they get it right. I don’t like writing sex scenes unless something’s going wrong or something else important is happening or, best of all, something is going wrong while something else is happening.
It’s a plan.
344,940 words that weren’t Nita. Damn.